Scions of Arion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scions of Arion guild forum, a Guild Wars group.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Go down 
+2
Tashiro
Orian
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Orian

Orian

Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 10:02 pm

Ok, come on people, tell me why we haven't started one of these!?!?

Current newz:

Ranger!

Also healing and death, n' stuff.

But feel free to empty your mindscape onto this here threadspace.

My feelings on the matter of le ranger are as follows:

It is awesome. I like it. A lot.

However! Tashie, I know you want as much as I do, and I'm ok with that. I think my head would implode from overjoy if I took a ranger first anyway, since there's only so much you can experience in one sitting. So I'll probably take one of the more unique professions to just run with and learn the game. Agreed? (psst I'll also make sure that my ranger is better! Ok, kidding. >_>)

What I like most about the ranger is the increased pet role, and functionality. They look so much more useful to the party and with a few animals to call for the best scenario, there's no worry of taking a "bad" pet. If there are warriors in your party, go with something fast. If you have a squishy lamentalist, grab the bear and let it jump on things.

I love it, love it.

P.S. you have to reply to this or you forfeit your choice of character to me. bounce
Back to top Go down
Tashiro
Admin
Tashiro

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 8:08 pm

Yes, Rangers look just awesome. Smile I'm more than happy with what I saw, though I was informed that Barrage doesn't fire quite that fast -- they have admitted to speeding up the attacks (reducing cooldown time) so that you can see them in action more often, but that being said, they do look pretty awesome.

Let's see what the other professions are going to be -- I'll probably make a Ranger anyway, but you tend to adventure with the sunday group, and I don't get to see you that often, which means I don't see an actual conflict of interest.

It seems all rangers get pets, period. I might be wrong on this, but pets are their equivalent to 'adrenaline' and such, meaning it is central to their concept. I'm curious if this is the case -- can you make a pet-less Ranger? How bad is it if you do?
Back to top Go down
http://www.foolsmoon.com
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 8:30 pm

People have been raising that very question, about ranger pets being attached to your hip. The word from Anet on the issue basically is, "If you want a ranged profession, and don't want a pet, ranger is not for you." Yes, pets are the "mechanic" for rangers, like adrenaline. That said, it sounds like it would pretty much cripple them to not have one.
Back to top Go down
Tashiro
Admin
Tashiro

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Can I say, for the record, your icon creeps me right out? Wink
Okay, so I wonder if a pet will take up a skill slot then? And if that skill slot will do more than say 'you have a pet, congrats'.
Back to top Go down
kyubiko
Admin
kyubiko

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 8:44 pm

I have doubts that it would take up a skill slot the way Charm/Comfort Animal do. You will have skill slots dedicated to the pet, but in all probability, they will change for pet type. Aquatic, Amphibious, non-watery.
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 9:51 pm

I think there will be several skill slots dedicated to the pet, but no slot that just says "You are bringing a pet with you". I don't even think you need to slot a skill to charm one, you can just walk up to any juvenile animal and charm away. At least, I hope that's how it works, it sounds awesome.

And don't be creeped out by Spongebob, Tash. He was just imagining himself as a lifeguard and thinks he looks great as is, and doesn't need to be a musclebod to be cool. tongue
Back to top Go down
corin

corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 9:16 am

I, too, am excited about the Rangers, but I most likely won't make one right off the bat. I'm hoping that there's either a Mesmer-like class or (I think I just read that it's all but confirmed) Necker. I'll probably make one of those. Or maybe an elementalista.

As far as conflicting... I don't think that having two Rangers in a party will cause a problem at all. From what I know of the mechanics, there are enough different things for a Ranger to do.

Should be fun times. What do you think will be the next confirmed profession?
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 11:56 am

Yeah, I know two rangers wouldn't conflict, but I want to get to know all the professions, and the best way to do that is for each of us to take a different one. Also, I think it's just cooler to do it that way.

I think the next reveal is the necromancer. Something tells me they are working from the most well-known to the completely new. C'mon, would it make sense to start with some paladin knight (currently speculated) and then at the end, reveal the totally expected elementalist? Yes, in an excerpt from Ghosts of Ascalon, there was name-dropped a "sylvari necromancer", so, they sound all but confirmed, and would be the next logical choice to reveal.

Additionally, I think it will be necro because of how the reveals have gone:

1st - Caster (elementalist)
2nd - Melee (warrior)
3rd - Ranged (ranger)
4th - Caster (???)

Alternatively you can look at it by armor class.

1.Light
2.Heavy
3.Medium
4.Light?

As for the date of reveal, it seems they have been spaced out from four to five weeks, give or take. I predict we will see a new profession in mid-late august.
Back to top Go down
corin

corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm not entirely sure that looking at the armor weights would be a good way of predicting because it's too early to really see a pattern, but I would probably put money on the next reveal being a caster. I'd say probably a necker, too.
Back to top Go down
Kwaidan
Admin
Kwaidan

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:47 am

Necromancer! Woo! :> The ranger's kinda nice, but I'm waiting for the necromancer, or the mesmer. I think my first character's gonna be a necromancer. I wonder if they'll get an undead minion to walk around with 'em.
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Comic-Con 2010: ArenaNet design director James Phinney joined by lore master Jeff Grubb, others to discuss opportunities in upcoming online RPG.

Ever feel you are over-dressed or just seem out of place? Anet says you should be able to dress down at your leisure.

"Phinney then turned the panel over to Kristen Perry, who talked a bit about character customization. The big new change with Guild Wars 2, she said, was that players can now wear nearly all of the clothing that non-player characters can wear, giving the example of a merchant's garb or blacksmith's apron."

Strolling into sylvari lands and looking like a nornbear? Looks like you will be able to slip into the local garb to blend in with the atmosphere.

And, just when you think you have squee'd all you could:

"Also, armor and clothing dying will be greatly expanded, with players able to alter the hue for up to three parts of each piece."

I'll be in wardrobe if you need me, being created.
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 3:27 pm

Everyone is asking the same question: How will we stop the Elder Dragons?

So, there are three Orders that have different ways of thinking, and we can join one and probably become cool with people for being down with the right crowd.

The Vigil wants to face them directly, and use experience gained in order to fight them better (though I'm not sure how, since you can only earn XP on kills, duh).

The Order of Whispers believes they cannot be destroyed, and the only way to deal with them is to put them back to sleep.

The Durmand Priory is keeper of lore and knowledge, and hopes that somewhere in the deep archives lies the secret to the elder dragons.

I, however, have a different philosophy:

Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion Push-it-somewhere-else-Tyria1
Back to top Go down
corin

corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 4:40 pm

I agree with Patrick.

but won't the dragons just go with Tyria? Or did you just mean Tyria the continent?

That quasi-meme should have the little ( --- ) tag after it like the Wiki does. Disambiguation or whatever.

We should take Tyria (This meme is about the world named Tyria. For information on the eponymous continent, see Tyria.) and push it somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
Tashiro
Admin
Tashiro

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 4:47 pm

I think that's a very good plan. Barring that, however, anyone have a preference? My first choice is the Durmand Priory, since it is in keeping with the theme of Arion. My choice would otherwise be the Vigil. A bit of a back story here:

Mythology of Arion
According to the mythology, Arion is the god of Judgement, who will arrive at some point in the future to discern whether creation should continue to exist, or whether it should be destroyed. If Creation is in balance -- if there is change, civilization continues to move forward, and the harmony of the world is kept, then Creation is saved, and a golden age comes. However, if Creation is out of balance -- if civilization has stagnated, or has even been wiped out -- then Creation is destroyed, to make way for a new world. The signal of Judgement is the Dragons of the End -- the scions of Arion who scour the world, bringing chaos and destruction. This is a blessing in disguise, as the presence of the dragons may inspire heroes to battle them and unite the world, thus swinging the pendulum once more towards Balance.

Some who revere Arion are called the Oracles. These holy people wander Creation, recording important events, marking the turning points in history, and make an ongoing record of all that has happened. They are the keepers of the Great Libraries, storehouses of knowledge, keeping track of the movements of the world. This knowledge is kept -- not for the people, but for Arion. For when Arion comes, they wish to present this knowledge to him -- in the hopes that he will understand the lives of those who have come before, the heroes and the villains, the great deeds and the terrible. They wish to show that the world is not as it is 'now', but was an evolving, living thing. And they hope, if Arion decides that Creation can not be saved -- that he will at least take pity on those who have struggled and tried, and bring them into the new world to be reborn.

---

So, with that... while I personally am interested in the Vigil, it would be more 'in character' to go with the Durmand Priory.
Back to top Go down
corin

corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Personally, I'm torn between Whispers and the Priory.

Also, I vote a change in our guild name for GW2. I don't want to be a dragon Sad
Back to top Go down
Tashiro
Admin
Tashiro

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 5:47 pm

The mythology is for other RPGs, obviously not for Guild Wars (seriously, I don't think Tyria has a God of Judgement -- except for perhaps Balthazar). I'd figure Arion would just be a hero who served under Lyssa (he's got wings, she's got wings, they must be connected somehow. Wink )
Back to top Go down
corin

corin

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Right, but the Scions of Arion are dragons, right? That's what you said, isn't it? DRAGONS ARE SCARY AND I DON'T WANT TO HAVE SCALES *sob*
Back to top Go down
Tashiro
Admin
Tashiro

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 6:35 pm

corin wrote:
Right, but the Scions of Arion are dragons, right? That's what you said, isn't it? DRAGONS ARE SCARY AND I DON'T WANT TO HAVE SCALES *sob*

*patpats* There there.
In that setting, some of Arion's offspring are dragons. Some are perfectly reasonable. Smile I think we're the reasonable ones. Smile We don't have scales, we don't turn vast tracts of land into crystal, and we kick butt.
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 7:16 pm

It's interesting background, Tash. I personally could go with OoW or Durmand Priory. As far as the guild name, I wouldn't be opposed to a new name or interpretation, but, I'm fine with what it is now.

Edit: ACK, are we scaleys? I don't want to be, either. Also, our Scion sounds scary too. Also, I think Grenth is the closest thing to judgment, since he kind of rules the Underworld and I think He acts like a Reaper of sorts. Also, I had NO idea that you can actually see several of the dragons right now. There's one under Drakkar Lake, one is in the Central Transfer Chamber where you fight the Great Destroyer, and one is in the Charr Homelands. I think the last one is all those spikes in that one place.

Hear that, Corrie? SUDDENLY, DRAGONS, TONS OF THEM.
Back to top Go down
kyubiko
Admin
kyubiko

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 1:55 am

Tashiro wrote:
The mythology is for other RPGs, obviously not for Guild Wars (seriously, I don't think Tyria has a God of Judgement -- except for perhaps Balthazar). I'd figure Arion would just be a hero who served under Lyssa (he's got wings, she's got wings, they must be connected somehow. Wink )

Grenth is the judge of the dead, I believe. Balthazar is the god of warriors and fire.

Dwayna has wings. Lyssa has multiple forms or faces, depending on continent. Her followers don't have wings, and humans in Guild Wars lack shapeshifting abilities. The Norn change into bears for certain, and follow totems of Wolf, Raven and Bear. Raven's followers might have shamanic markings of wings when they commune.

Dervishes do something similar to shapeshifting, though it's more of a channel of the god which manifests itself on them. Avatar of Dwayna is probably the closest any human in Guild Wars comes to having wings.
Back to top Go down
Tashiro
Admin
Tashiro

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 6:58 am

Yeah, I meant Dwayna, my brain must have been sitting in idle yesterday Embarassed (not much better today, my kitties woke me up at 6:30). Sleep

I'm half tempted to write a Tyrian history for Arion, just to see what I come up with. I think he'd have been a paragon and worshipper of Dwayna, but would have suffered a tragic fate and owe service to Grenth for some sin before his fall from grace. You know, classic story of redemption. The connection to the dragons could be a vision or prophesy that his original guild uncovered, making them aware of a threat that the guild needed to rise and confront, though they would not have been quite aware of just how bad things would be. The current (GW1) Guild may have been descendants of the original group's members, carrying the torch, on the alert for this threat. Considering the Prophesies Campaign, it may be tied into Arion having an encounter with Glint, way back in the day, in fact.

Anyway... I'd really like to see the Scions in GW2 (I'd be sad if they disbanded after a hundred and fifty years), but if people insist, we could discuss another name.
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Aw, they won't be disbanded, Tash. It'll just be like one of those Mighty Duck movies, when everyone is off doing their own thing and, except, nobody comes and rallies them together in a bunch of silly scenes that shows off their stereotypes.
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Guild Wars 2 News Update   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 3:58 pm

Personality In Guild Wars 2

Reveals some interesting bits of information regarding how we will interact with NPCs, as well as how it relates to the Karma system.
Back to top Go down
Tashiro
Admin
Tashiro

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Orian wrote:
Personality In Guild Wars 2

Reveals some interesting bits of information regarding how we will interact with NPCs, as well as how it relates to the Karma system.

Saw that this morning. That looks interesting, most definitely. Smile I'm still trying to decide who my character's going to be on GW2 -- I'm thinking the Ranger (Hmm. Jingo Kurosawa?) but I'm also considering Tarot Eveningstar as a Mesmer perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Tashiro wrote:
I'm also considering Tarot Eveningstar as a Mesmer perhaps.

Oh snap, Fah, you might have some competition! And Tash you should just do every character you can think of, all at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion   Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Official Guild Wars 2 Discussion
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next