Scions of Arion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scions of Arion guild forum, a Guild Wars group.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who Are You Playing?

Go down 
+7
Marinredwolf
Vykos
Solace
Ajeya
Tilla
KynElwynn
Kwaidan
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kwaidan
Admin
Kwaidan

Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 11:32 pm

So, after a few months, I've decided I might adjust guild levels for members. I may be making a new level for people who want to remain in the guild, but feel better representing other guilds. It'll allow them to remain in the guild, but I'll set it to just bare-bones for them. This way, they can still represent when they want to, get access to the first panel of the guild bank, and such..
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 12:41 am

Were there any permissions that were being abused by some of us members that represent other guilds? I'm just confused why the ranks need adjustment. I personally have never touched any of the guild options so if I had privileges to do something I never took the opportunity to try.

That said I'm still always around if I'm online, just because I'm not repping does not mean I'm invisible/hiding in bushes/ignoring everyone. I know I should rep more often and will try to continue checking Scions and popping over when I can Smile
Back to top Go down
Marinredwolf

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 1:58 am

I'm a bit curious too, though I suspect it's not a reaction to permission abuse so much.

Small guilds are always tricky when there's benefits. Even if everyone in the guild repped 100%, that probably wouldn't be enough influence-income to keep various buffs up constantly, and we really don't have the numbers to effectively get into guild missions (they start with bounties). So anyone wanting those benefits/experiences practically has to go elsewhere. Maybe more to the point - and this is self-fulfilling, mind - most of the time I've logged in over the last few months I haven't seen more than one other repping member, usually none. Not much incentive to stay on-channel for that when the people I know who are on frequently are elsewhere. :/

On the other hand, it's hard to find a happy medium between multiple guilds, if they all expect you to be generating influence for them.
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 8:42 am

Marinredwolf wrote:

Small guilds are always tricky when there's benefits. Even if everyone in the guild repped 100%, that probably wouldn't be enough influence-income to keep various buffs up constantly, and we really don't have the numbers to effectively get into guild missions (they start with bounties). So anyone wanting those benefits/experiences practically has to go elsewhere. Maybe more to the point - and this is self-fulfilling, mind - most of the time I've logged in over the last few months I haven't seen more than one other repping member, usually none. Not much incentive to stay on-channel for that when the people I know who are on frequently are elsewhere. :/

On the other hand, it's hard to find a happy medium between multiple guilds, if they all expect you to be generating influence for them.

That is a good point about having low influence, which is a huge problem for small guilds. To be honest, in the guild Fah and I joined, it's quite active throughout the week but it is still a massive undertaking to unlock guild missions. As for bounties, even with 10+ people in mumble organizing it, they are tough to pull off. Our guild has since stopped doing them because we can't consistently get those numbers interested; we could spend all night and come up empty. It has taken months to unlock the next guild mission. In short that means having everyone rep 100% wouldn't help here.

There's no pressure to earn influence in my other guild, either. It's mostly about grouping together and being social in-game and on mumble, especially for wvw and dungeons. It would look a little funny to be on during an active period and repping another guild, but I do have the share your feeling when I peek over during some down time and don't see but 1 other person repping at Scions.

That rambling aside, I understand if people think of me as less of a member, or should just leave the guild if I'm not there doing anything. I still see this as a game and you are all great people, but in the end I need to respect the guild and can't pretend like I'm still a part of it when I'm not. Talking with members, I know you are all good people and would never ask me to leave, but I can easily put myself in different shoes and have those questions about someone like me.
Back to top Go down
Kwaidan
Admin
Kwaidan

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 10:12 am

You're right. I don't feel comfortable kicking people out - especially people that I call my friends. The problem I have is that I've invited people into the guild, and they see 90% of the guild is off representing other people. So given a few days, they do it as well, making the problem worse. If I want to hook up with people to do something, I have to privately message five or six people to see if they're interested, instead of just asking on guild chat. It means if I kick in guild bonuses, I have to bust my hump for a few days to make up for the cost - and maybe one to three people actually benefit from it. (I've long since stopped doing it).

The only benefit I get from being in my own guild currently, is I have a guild bank, and can get backpacks and guild armour. Those are nice, but the benefit I actually want.. being able to quickly talk to friends, chat with them on a single channel, joke around and have fun? It literally does not exist anymore. I could currently just get all my guild members, put them on my friend's list, and get.. well, pretty much the exact same result. If I want to talk to anyone, it'll be in whisper, and it'll be one person at a time.

I thrive on social contact. It's why I got into MMOs. I like exploring with my friends, goofing off in chat, and being part of a community. I've got a few people who hang out with me from time to time, but their schedules conflict, so it's usually just me and one, maybe two others. But I miss being able to just pop in, say hi to the guild, and start chatting away about my day and hearing how other people are doing.

I'm in the [HERO] guild - I'm friends with the guild leader, but I nearly never log into the guild, because ARIN is *my* guild, the guild I made to have with friends. I'd feel.. pretty shitty if I were to just abandon my own guild just so I'd have people to talk to.
Back to top Go down
Vykos

Vykos

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 10:40 am

We could try cloning me and everything would be solved.
I wouldn't have to go to work either. Win-Win.
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Kwaidan, it's within that need for more social contact (and group play) that people have found the need to pursue other guilds. I'm not saying there is none in Scions, but it's sparse enough, there are droughts and, agreeing with what you say, schedules and time zones are conflicting enough that it creates "dead zones" where people aren't on.

Personally, I wish we could form chat channels and keep groups of friends in a distinct tab, but when you look at the technical side of a guild, really that causes a conflict. There are no guild halls, so a chat box is really the biggest thing holding one together and making people socialize. I miss having a hall to hang out and shoot the breeze, but alas they have not been a priority for the dev team. Along with the asinine guild mission content that's hurt most guilds, I think it's only natural what it has come to.

But in my heart I don't want to be seen as "abandoning" anyone. It's a game, it's a guild, and though I may not be in a chat channel I have always been here, willing to play with you guys. At the core I think that's what makes it all worth while, not the little buffs we pay for or even letters next to our names.

As I'm not going to throw away people I've come to befriend and enjoy playing with, I'm not leaving. I just hope people realize that I don't have to have a green square next to my name to know I care.
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 12:11 pm

*Guild Wars 1 Related*

In order for this to be seen, and as it appears much of the GW1 section is archived, as well as it sort of keeps with my above post, I've decided to put it here.

I was never planning on playing Guild Wars again, and actually (nearly) lost my account. I'm not aware of any plans for us to get back into it, either. That said, there was a stirring interest in my current GW2 guild, and many people needed HoM points and just want to experience it, so I've decided to move from our guild there to theirs to better support them.

My IGN has always been known and, to those that added me, have it on their FL. Even so, it's always been Orian Ranolae. Speaking of the guild itself, the list showed long-term inactivity, so I hope people don't take this the wrong way, either.

As always, if anyone wants to play, I've been here. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kwaidan
Admin
Kwaidan

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 1:28 pm

I guess that makes some sense.. they're not doing updates in GW1 anymore, either. So.. sure, that's okay. The one thing that caught me off-guard today, though, was Fah had left our guild in GW2. :< I guess it makes sense, if Fah needed space for a WvW guild - how many guilds can a person be a part of?
Back to top Go down
Orian

Orian

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm really not sure, actually. I'm a member of three GW2 guilds, but one was just a small group of friends that stopped playing.
Back to top Go down
Vykos

Vykos

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 3:04 pm

5 guilds per account, according to the wiki.
Back to top Go down
Kwaidan
Admin
Kwaidan

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm on three, and two of them I never actually attend. The guild leaders for both are just friends of mine. One guild's on a completely different server, and the other's Bunni's, and we're hooked up mostly as a nicety.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who Are You Playing?   Who Are You Playing? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who Are You Playing?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Scions of Arion :: Guild Wars 2-
Jump to: