Scions of Arion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scions of Arion guild forum, a Guild Wars group.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can't play a Guardian!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ajeya

Can't play a Guardian! Empty
PostSubject: Can't play a Guardian!   Can't play a Guardian! EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 12:09 pm

So after spending all of yesterday playing a Guardian from 1-15, I am disheartened to say that I just don't "get" the profession. The last impression I got from my Guardian was in the Norn zone playing in the dynamic events to recapture a Sons of Svonir stronghold. The end phase of that is a boss encounter. This was my experience -

Equipped with a 2-hander sword to do DPS behind the boss. I notice that the boss has a stomp-knockdown ability that blows all the melee back and does tons of damage. So much so that I'm knocked down and out the fight almost every time it happens. Result - bronze participation level - I suppose for being knocked out because I was in the fight the whole time otherwise.

Next time, I equip a mace and shield, thinking I can stop the knockdown with one of my abilities mace or shield defensive. I think 'Aegis' does it, but not sure. Seemed like all the other times I used abilities that 'block' I still got knocked down. But sometimes I didn't. But, end result was I was knocked out the fight several times and needed to be revived and got another bronze. Timing seemed to be an issue too as I couldn't figure out exactly when the boss was going to knockback.

Next time, I spent some skill points and bought 'stand your ground' which looked perfect to counter the boss's big attack move. I am pretty sure I was able to counter it a few times, but not enough to be effective and again I was knocked out of the fight multiple times and got another bronze.

Last time, I equipped a staff and tried to stay mostly out of the way, running in to activate my virtue abilities or to stand closer to the melee while casting my heal. Even trying to stay out of the knockdown range I still fell victim to it - mainly again not knowing the cue if there is one - and was knocked out again multiple times and got another bronze.

All of this is pretty disheartening for a character I felt should be tough, rugged and able to stand in the fight and help others stand in the fight as well. What's the point of playing a Guardian if you feel you're not warding anyone? Any advice for a newbie Guardian?

Back to top Go down
Tashiro
Admin
Tashiro

PostSubject: Re: Can't play a Guardian!   Can't play a Guardian! EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 2:37 pm

I think a part of the problem is that guardians aren't 'front line' warriors, they're back row tanks'. They have good armour, but they're not meant to really be charging in. That's one reason they have the ghost-weapon skills.

I know some areas are harder than others - you may want to go into human lands and try things there for a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.foolsmoon.com
Ajeya

PostSubject: Re: Can't play a Guardian!   Can't play a Guardian! EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 8:17 pm

I disagree! Guardians are definitely front-line! With heavy armor, ability to equip shields and a ton of defensive abilities, I'd say they are more capable of shrugging off direct hits than maybe any other class. I see what you're saying, that they could be assigned to defend another character or group of characters. But I can think of 3 ways my lvl 15 Guardian can insta-block the next attack from an enemy and take no damage - I'm not sure what about that isn't front-line except that defense means a lot less damage output. Smile

Actually nothing about the Norn area was difficult (OK, except maybe the wurm cave by the frozen lake, that was just silly) - I breezed through most encounters unless it was 4 on 1 with all of them the same level or higher than me. And I think with some practice I could handle those too. No it had more to do with my frustration in that one boss encounter. Maybe "I can't play a Guardian!" was overdramatic. Shocked

I posted this same message on MMO Champion and learned that the knockback/big hit accompanies a "tell" by the boss and that you can dodge out of the way to avoid it. Also, I blocked it with Aegis and (possibly) Stand Your Ground (not sure about the latter). Since I'd seen the tell, but found it in now way correlated to the knockdown, I think I may have been lagging. So I will check my framerate in large encounters and ensure my game's still running smoothly. But the issue may just be due to 40 some odd players all beating on a boss - it just gets too crazy for the game to keep up.

So, I guess I may not be that horrible at Guardian - just need some more practice and perhaps lower my game settings some.
Back to top Go down
Vykos

Vykos

PostSubject: Re: Can't play a Guardian!   Can't play a Guardian! EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 9:57 am

That back row tank comment is hilarious in hindsight. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can't play a Guardian!   Can't play a Guardian! Empty

Back to top Go down

Can't play a Guardian!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Scions of Arion :: Guild Wars 2-
Jump to: